- This event has passed.
Climate and Actions: Storytelling with Saris Exhibition
May 8, 2015 - June 6, 2015
Storytelling with Saris is a multi-layered collaborative art and advocacy project that uses woodblock prints on saris, writing, performance, and video to address women’s empowerment in the face of climate change in a remote Bangladeshi island linked to the artist’s heritage.
These elements come together in Climate and Actions, an exhibition with workshops to facilitate actions to address climate change. The exhibition will include interactive sari pledge workshops where participants will write and print on saris their personal stories and pledges to reduce carbon footprint. The workshops will culminate in a public performance in fall 2015 using the pledge saris, which will later be returned to Bangladesh to be worn by coastal women.
Monica Jahan Bose is a Bangladeshi-American artist and activist working to create a transnational link between the US and Bangladesh to inspire action on climate change. The project and exhibition is funded in part by the DC Commission on the Arts & Humanities, which is partially supported by the National Endowment on the Arts.
- May 14: Woodblock Print Workshop, 11 am – 1 pm
- May 19: Film Screening and Artist Talk, 7:30 – 9 pm
- May 21: Woodblock Print Workshop, 11 am – 1 pm
- May 23: Woodblock Print Workshop, 11 am – 2 pm
- May 30: Woodblock Print Workshop, 11 am – 2 pm
- June 6: Closing Reception and Woodblock Print Workshop, 11 am – 2 pm